[redhat-lspp] Re: LSPP kickstart config v0.42 released

Klaus Weidner klaus at atsec.com
Wed Apr 18 14:48:50 UTC 2007

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 10:46:39AM -0300, Klaus Heinrich Kiwi wrote:
>  I was using .42 today and saw that while updating the required packages,
> there are a number of configuration files which are unpacked as '.rpmnew'.
> My question is: Wouldn't this be a problem if the updated packages are
> different from the GA ones? Wouldn't be better to use '--replacefiles'
> while updating?

This is strange, I just checked the i386 system I installed using 0.42,
and a global "find" shows only a single .rpmnew file,
./etc/pam.d/system-auth.rpmnew, and that one gets overwritten anyway by
the postinstall script.

I'd expect rpmnew files to be created only if config files were manually
modified, not when updating unmodified packagess. Of course it can get
confused by autogenerated files.

I'll add --replacefiles, I'd just like to understand why this didn't
happen on my machine... Is it maybe a biarch issue due to duplicate RPMs?
Did you install using the standard method, letting the ks postinstall
script upgrade the RPM files, or did you manually install RPMs or make
configuration changes? And which are the .rpmnew files you see?

-Klaus