[redhat-lspp] Re: ssh/xinetd/getpeercon???

Stephen Smalley sds at tycho.nsa.gov
Thu Feb 15 18:43:20 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 17:26 -0600, Joy Latten wrote:
> I have been playing with the ssh-mls which gets called through xinetd
> when labeled networking is in use and am confused about what I am
> seeing. :-)
>
> My assumption is that when using this feature, the resulting ssh
> connection will have single mls level, which is the effective level of
> the issuer.
>
> For example, if I am
> uid=500(ealuser) gid=500(ealuser) groups=10(wheel),500(ealuser)
> context=staff_u:staff_r:staff_t:s3-s9
>
> When I issue ssh -p 222 -l <user> <host>, I expect to see "s3" as my new
> mls level in the new ssh connection when I do an "id".
>
> With CIPSO, this happens.
> With labeled ipsec, I get "s3-s9".
>
> Debugging xinetd, I noticed that when using CIPSO, getpeercon() returns
> "system_u:object_r:unlabeled_t:s3".
>
> When using labeled ipsec, getpeercon() returns
> "root:sysadm_r:sysadm_ssh_t:s3-s9".
>
> I always wondered if getpeercon() would someday lift its head and bite,
> I just wish it had not been on Valentine's Day. :-)
> I am concerned about the mls label being returned.
>
> So, my question is, how is this suppose to work?
> Does CIPSO, when given an mls range, like s3-s9, only pass
> the effective level through in ip options? If so, is this
> what labeled ipsec should be doing? Should we be setting only the
> effective level in the SA? If so, that could potentially create
> even more SAs. Or should xinetd, when given a range, should only
> set the effective level for the new process? I kinda like this
> solution best, that is, xinetd setting single effective level. But
> I don't know if that is correct resolution?

The labeled networking mechanism should convey the full context when
possible (naturally, with a legacy mechanism like CIPSO, we may not have
that option except by using something like James Morris' Selopt
approach, which naturally won't be compatible with legacy trusted OSes).

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency