Re: OpenGL and the 2.6.6 kernel

Chris Kloiber wrote:
On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 00:51, Mike Lurk wrote:

On Sun, 2004-06-06 at 17:43, Mike Lurk wrote:

OpenGL seems to work in windowed but as soon as you try to go full
screen it just boots you out of the desktop and puts you to the login
screen. I have been thinking about that for a while and I have come to
the conclusion that the 2.6.6 kernel memory requirements have changed,
meaning that 256 megs of system memory is not enough anymore. I did

work

with FC1 and FC2. The 2.6.5 kernels did work until you went to 24 bit
color and then it would restart the desktop with any opengl game
(windowed or not). Go to  16 bit color and all was fine.

which video hardware (and which drivers) is this?

Ooops. It's an Intel based machine with I810e integrated video(16meg)
and a p3 600 CPU with 256 megs of system memory. Using the latest kernel
from your site (Arjan).

That's an easy one. The Intel i810 graphics only offers 3D accel in
16bpp color. It's a driver limitation. See: 'man i810':

DESCRIPTION
        i810  is  an  Xorg  driver for Intel integrated graphics
        chipsets.  The driver supports depths 8, 15, 16 and 24. All
        visual types are supported in depth 8. For the i810/i815 other
        depths support the TrueColor and DirectColor visuals. For the
        830M and later, only the  TrueColor visual is supported for
        depths greater than 8. The driver supports hardware accelerated
        3D via the Direct Rendering Infrastructure (DRI), but only in
        depth 16 for the i810/i815 and depths 16 and 24 for the 830M and
        later.

Thanks for the information. I had a problem with one application. (xine) crashing the X server. I have the Intel 815 and have it set to the maximum selection.

Intel 815 - 800 MHz Coppermine - 512 MB memory

I did not notice any differences with kernels from FC1 or FC2. Both kernels seemed to have the same crashing symptom. I've set the resolution and color depth to the maximum settings selectable.

Thanks,

Jim