fc2 - network restart fails - e1000 / Extreme Network Switch

I'm using machines with Intel GB NIC (Supermicro 6013P-T and
Dell 1600sc - both with e1000 drivers).  The OS is fc2 release
(I've tried updating the kernel to 2.6.6-1-535 and saw the
same symptoms).

If I connect to an Extreme Network GB Switch (summit 400-48t)
and issue a "service network restart" command, it works every
other time (and fails every other time) - consistently.
When it fails, I get the following message: "Determining ip
information for eth0... failed: no link present.  Check cable?"

If I do a sequence of "service network stop" and "service network
start", it works every time.

I have not seen this with a Netgear unmanaged switch (haven't
tried others).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe Robertson