"Metadata file does not match checksum" error

I wonder if others are seeing similar things of that sort.   I am
trying update a package from rawhide, not even extras/development,
so I start 'yum update some_package' and now yum reads repository
metadata and after that it begins:

primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================| 862 kB    00:08
ftp://fedora.bu.edu/fedora/extras/development/x86_64/repodata/primary.xml.gz: [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
Trying other mirror.

After that yum goes with the same effect, fetching on every step the
same 862 kB, through

before finding eventually some mirror with a metadata file which it
is willing to accept.  Pretty annoying if one is on the other end of
not-so-fast DSL line and some of these servers are not in a great
hurry too.  Extra spurious beating on mirrors as well.

Yes, I know that in this case I could restart the process with
'--disablerepo=extra*' but once yum started it is not so easy
to dissuade it from continuing (and one hopes - oh, maybe the
next server ....).

As a matter of fact I have seen recently similar things not only
with rawhide but trying to fetch updates for some FC5 installations
while this apparently worked much better in the past.

I am curious what is responsible for these happenings and what can be
done to prevent, or at least alleviate, that.