[Rhm-users] Re: [Rhemrg-users-list] Fanout exchange

Carl Trieloff cctrieloff at redhat.com
Mon May 4 14:48:27 UTC 2009

Bill Whiting wrote:
> Can anyone describe a real-world example of using a fanout exchange.
> I understand what its doing, but I can't think of any real use for
> this messaging pattern.

It is used to create distribution lists, as all queues bound receive all
messages. The only advantage of using it over something like the direct
exchange is that it has the most  efficient routing logic (just place a
reference to the message onto the queue.)

> If there's a wiki or documentation that you can point me to, I'm happy
> to go read.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_MRG/1.1/html/Messaging_Tutorial/chap-Messaging_Tutorial-Initial_Concepts.html#sect-Messaging_Tutorial-Initial_Concepts-Fanout_Exchange

kind regards
Carl.