[rhos-list] Setting up a client to access single node instance of RedHat Swift (Essex)

Derek Higgins derekh at redhat.com
Wed Nov 28 00:11:14 UTC 2012

On 11/27/2012 11:20 PM, Perry Myers wrote:
> On 11/27/2012 04:52 PM, David Hernandez wrote:
>> I have currently installed RHOS Swift on a single node using the Folsom
>> preview install document I received from Derek Higgins.  I am using
>> Keystone as my identity service.  I have been using the "swift" command
>> to upload data to Swift.
>>
>> I need to setup a new client machine so that I can access Swift
>> "remotely."  I would like to use the swift command on this new client as
>> well.  Will you please tell me how to configure this client server.
>>  Will I need to install Keystone on it also?  This new machine is
>> currently running Ubuntu 10.04 but I will probably install RedHat 6.3 on
>> it so that it will be running the same OS as my Swift server.
>
> I think what you want is to just do "yum install python-swiftclient" on
> the machine you want to act as the remote swift client machine.
>
> That's how it would work if that machine was running RHEL and subscribed
> to the RHOS Folsom Preview.  If the remote machine is Ubuntu, I'm sure
> you can still have that Ubuntu machine act as a client as well, but
> you'd need to check with the Ubuntu folks on where to download the
> equivalent of python-swiftclient from their repositories.
>
> You shouldn't need keystone running on that machine, just the
> python-swiftclient packages should be all you need afair

In addition to the package perry mentioned you may need to change a few
things on your keystone server to make sure it can do more then just an
all in one setup

1. Endpoints : the document you followed was for a all in one server, so
all of the endpoints probably contain 127.0.0.1 (or localhost) for the
ipaddress. you will have to delete these with
$ keystone endpoint-delete
and add them again with an accessible ip address for the server

2. firewall : If you have a firewall running you'll have to allow access
to ports 5000 (keystone public api) and 8080 (swift proxy),

3. rc file : the rc file you were using probably contained
export OS_AUTH_URL=http://127.0.0.1:35357/v2.0/

you'll have to copy this rc file to your new machine and change this
line to
export OS_AUTH_URL=http://<ipaddr>:5000/v2.0/

Thats all I can think of at the moment, let em know if you need anything
else

thanks,
Derek