[rhos-list] Running openshift on openstack

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Wed Jan 16 22:53:52 UTC 2013

On 01/16/2013 03:44 PM, Matt Hicks wrote:
> On 01/16/2013 05:28 PM, Steven Dake wrote:

>>> Looping in Krishna and Bill.  Do you guys have anything OpenStack
>>> focused out there?
>>>
>>> -Matt
>>>
>> Matt,
>>
>> We have done a bit of work on making heat launch OpenShift on
>> OpenStack.  See: http://wiki.openstack.org/Heat/Running-openshift
>>
>> This can only improve with time, including autoscaling support and
>> integration with Moniker (DNS as a service) as well as helping us
>> understand networking points outlined elsewhere.
>>
>> Unfortunately we have difficulty keeping the integration working
>> consistently because OpenShift is moving so quickly - especially the
>> tooling around building RPMs.  We have gone through many different
>> approaches to get OpenShift working on OpenStack (outlined at the
>> wiki page above).  What would help the Heat team tremendously is a
>> package repo for OpenShift built against the F18 toolchain which are
>> tested, stable, and only change after having gone through some
>> rudimentary QE (vs a per-commit rpm repo which is less then ideal).
>> This would allow us to always deploy a known working OpenShift
>> against a known working Fedora baseline.  I expect anyone else doing
>> this work will have a similar requirement if they have spent similar
>> engineering hours on this problem as the heat team has.  We have
>> tried the repo packages in the past and they were built on two
>> different Fedora versions, requiring two different major versions of
>> ruby.    I understand the problems with putting OpenShift in Fedora
>> (toolchain changes right before deadlines), and am hopeful we won't
>> have to wait until F19 to make this integration point a reality.
>>
>> Regards
>> -steve

> We will absolutely get this for you.  We're working with Seth Vidal on
> the coprs work to see if we can establish a better process of building
> against Fedora.  Krishna has also been testing against F18 and we've
> got a couple of systemd bugs to run down. I'll sync up with the guys
> here and see if we can get you guys some dates. OpenShift and
> OpenStack integration is a critical priority for us next year and we
> really, really appreciate the work you guys have done to date.  If you
> are interested, I also have some Amazon CloudFormations templates that
> I used to deploy a multi-tier OpenShift Enterprise at Amazon
> re:Invent.  Testing them out with Heat has been on my todo list
> forever now but I haven't been able to get to it.  I'm happy to share
> them if you think it might help with anything.

Great News!

We would be happy to have a look at your templates to help identify gaps
in our implementation.  We are in our final push for grizzly milestone 3
(which finishes Feb 21) so we may be a bit sporadic in responding until
then.  Steven Hardy (added to cc) has been doing most of the OpenShift
bringup so please CC him on templates you have available.

Regards
-steve