[rhos-list] RHEL6: Nested virtualization support for kvm_intel?

Gilles Dubreuil gilles at redhat.com
Tue Nov 26 02:59:58 UTC 2013

Hi,

Maybe I'm dreaming but I thought soon we'll able to go Inception level
3, well at least that's how I explain to my partner what we're doing.

I'm not sure if any previous OpenStack kernels did have the feature.
But latest RHEL6.5 kernel seems not to support nested virtualization on
kvm_intel kernel module.

I'm not 100% sure if CPU support is required besides normal vmx flag.
But I can't see any flag advertising such feature or not while comparing
Intel specs as well with my laptop where it works with Fedora.

If there is no specific CPU support needed then the blocker will be the
module. In such case, do there is any road map for the feature?
Didn't find much rhel6 support for it (google/BZ) either.

Thanks
Gilles

# uname -a
Linux host10.oslab.priv 2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Sun Nov 10 22:19:54
EST 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
# modinfo kvm_intel | grep -i nested
# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep name | uniq
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 0 @ 2.00GHz
# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep flags | uniq
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good
xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx
smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid dca sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt
tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx lahf_lm ida arat epb xsaveopt pln pts
dts tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid