[Strimzi] Node affinity guidance

Jakub Scholz jakub at scholz.cz
Thu Jan 17 19:57:57 UTC 2019

Hi Robert,

We support configuring Node and Pod affinity (
https://strimzi.io/docs/latest/full.html#assembly-scheduling-deployment-configuration-kafka).
But we do not set any rules by default (unless you enable the Kafka rack
awareness feature). My personal view is that setting them by default might
not work for every user, every cluster size and every environment (e.g.
development versus production). So you have to configure them your self.

I you ask me, having dedicated nodes for your Kafka and Zookeeper pods is
always a safe bet. But sometimes it might be a bit wasteful. But if you
have big hosts, I think Zookeeper and Kafka can easily live next to each
other. It always depends also on the size of your cluster and how critical
it is for you. But as always, there will be many people with many opinions.

Thanks & Regards
Jakub