user_regset is in!

Shaohua Li shaohua.li at intel.com
Thu Jan 31 03:06:53 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 04:22 +0800, Roland McGrath wrote:
> The generic and x86 code for user_regset went into Linus's kernel tree
> today,
> destined for the 2.6.25 release.  I'm very grateful to Ingo Molnar,
> who helped
> this happen via the x86.git tree.  I've also had some positive
> feedback from
> the powerpc maintainer, and expect the powerpc user_regset code to go
> in
> upstream soon as well.
>
> If you are interested in utrace and you ever use an arch other than
> x86 and
> powerpc, now is the time to step forward as an arch advocate.  If you
> are
> not confident you can do the kernel work, it is still a help to be the
> advocate for your arch and get help writing the code.  If you can do
> the
> testing and work through some details with me, I will be glad to help
> out
> with writing the arch code.
>
> This is the first important milestone on the way to get utrace code
> into the
> upstream kernel.  There is much more hard work ahead.
Hi,
I suppose we currently only need do the regset work, right? Attached is
the ia64 part, which mostly is a copy-paste of previous utrace patch
with some fixes. The issue is we have some duplicate code to access
registers. Will you add the ptrace_layout_access API? This could help
remove a lot of duplicate code.

Thanks,
Shaohua