The demise of utracer.

Chris Moller cmoller at redhat.com
Wed Jun 25 23:11:57 UTC 2008

David Miller wrote:
> From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at false.org>
> Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:38:25 -0400
>

>> The single biggest pain in GDB's process management is dealing with
>> signals, especially the ways that ptrace interferes with normal
>> operation.
>>

> Because of this, and other similar examples, I believe the only
> way to design a new debugging interface is to walk through a
> significant debugging tool like GDB and guide the interface
> design by what something like GDB is trying to accomplish.
>
> There are years and years of experience in debugging codified
> into a code base like GDB, and therefore the perfect place
> to mine interface guiding experience from.

I agree in principal, but there are years and years of old cruft in gdb
too and I'm not altogether sure that separating the experience from the
cruft is possible or, at least, any less work than  just starting over
and accumulating new cruft.

--
Chris Moller

  I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but
  I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
      -- Robert McCloskey