The demise of utracer.

Chris Moller cmoller at redhat.com
Tue Jul 1 19:28:04 UTC 2008

K.Prasad wrote:

> Hi All,
> 	Sorry if I have missed out something I need to know before I
> respond to this email. But the "trace" infrastructure (lib/trace.c)
> already provides such a facility which more features such as per-cpu
> buffer for faster transmission (it is a wrapper over "relay" which
> sits on top of "debugfs").
>
> The interfaces provided by "trace" are much simpler/functional than
> setting up a "debugfs" interface manually (see
> samples/trace/fork_trace.c) and the directory structure and control
> files setup by "trace" are already familiar to the systemtap code.
>
> Thanks,
> K.Prasad
> P.S.: "trace" is currently in -mm tree.

Thought it might be interesting to check this out--the patched
2.6.26-rc5 kernel built fine but panicked when I tried to boot it.  So
much for the easy way...

--
Chris Moller

  I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but
  I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
      -- Robert McCloskey