RCU, reference counts

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Wed Aug 6 21:46:09 UTC 2008

> My initial opinion was that you were moving away from RCU to also rid
> the task_struct->utrace assertion failure, which IIRC from some of the
> investigations at the time, were mostly for RCU lifetime reasons.

That assertion failure (BUG_ON) was due to an internal bug.
It was entirely for buggy internals reasons.  The way I move
to get rid of those is to debug them.

I'm trying to have a conversation about the utrace API.
I haven't really gotten any feedback the API questions.
I very much need to know the opinions on this of people
who write code that uses utrace.

Thanks,
Roland