question - inconsistent results from ptrace

Roni Simonian v.simonian at comcast.net
Mon Apr 27 05:59:54 UTC 2009

Hi Roland,

I followed your advice and looked at the registers. Here is what I found:

The function that behaves inconsistently is _dl_start in ld-2.8.so. Most
of the time the first variation in the flow occurs as early as 296
instructions down the road, namely at the jump

30b3b0:    0f 86 d7 fd ff ff        jbe    30b18d <_dl_start+0x22d>

but sometimes later. ( I am attaching disassembled _dl_start). And yes,
the registers do differ at this point, but so they should, considering
all these "rdtsc" - or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Roni.