resume from another engine results in loss of singlestep req.

Srikar.Dronamraju at d23av02.au.ibm.com.redhat.com Srikar.Dronamraju at d23av02.au.ibm.com.redhat.com
Tue Aug 11 14:52:11 UTC 2009

Hi Roland,

If we have two utrace engines for a thread with first engine requesting
UTRACE_STOP and second one requesting UTRACE_SINGLESTEP, utrace
correctly gives priority to UTRACE_STOP.

However when the first engine detaches(or resumes) the singlestep
request from the second engine is not given preference and the traced
thread resumes instead of single stepping.  The second engine doesnt
even get a chance to re-assert singlestep.

If this is expected behaviour, Is there a way for singlestep to be
re-asserted from the second thread?

I am attaching a tar file which has two simple utrace modules which can
depict the problem.  Please see run.sh for steps to see the problem that
I am asking about.

Also please refer my mail to utrace-devel here.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/utrace-devel/2009-March/msg00006.html
Then I had reported that on resume, I have noticied that singlestep
being ignored.

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar