utrace support on ARM

Frank Ch. Eigler fche at redhat.com
Thu Apr 21 17:51:27 UTC 2011

f-turgis wrote:

> [...]
> So I am interested in this kind of status:
>
> * utrace has not been accepted upstream. Does it mean it may lose
> traction ? Is "community" pushing for something else or happy with
> what they have ? [...]

There are many communities.  I am not anticipating additional utrace
uptake at this time.

> * I have also found IBM presentation on utrace-less uprobes. How
> does it affect utrace ?

It doesn't.  As far as systemtap's concerned, if the new uprobes turn
out to be versatile enough, we will use them.

As far as a systemtap user's concerned, it's all an implementation
detail.  The scripts should be exactly the same.

- FChE