[Vdo-devel] VDO for backup machine

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Mon Oct 14 13:51:26 UTC 2019

Hi all,
I am evaluating VDO for an rsnapshot-based backup machine and I have
some questions where feedback would be appreciated:

1) it is possibile, via vdostat or other means, to determine how much
saving is due to compression vs deduplication?

2) I know that vdo is not supported on top of thin volumes on the ground
that it does not pass down discard requests (ie: the underlying device
would fill up). However, putting discard aside, what are the
implications of vdo running on top of lvmthin?

3) if taking snapshots of the vdo backing device, how can I mount these
snapshots? Will vdo complain if I mount, for example, a writable
snapshot of the backing device?

Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan