[vdo-devel] vdo use more space than logical device

d tbsky tbskyd at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 00:58:36 UTC 2020

Dennis Keefe <dkeefe at redhat.com>

> Tbskyd,
> And to answer you question.  That might depend on how often you need to reclaim free space.  If you delete files often and you run the storage near full, then you would run fstrim more frequently.   You
> could also mount the filesystem with the discard flag and let the filesystem take care of it.

   thanks a lot for the hint. for ssd I have been told not to use
discard flag but use fstrim to speed up. but it looks like with vdo +
harddisk for backup, discard flag  is a must. with "iostat -dmx 1" I
have only 40mb/sec, and the disk utilization is about 50%, device
utilization is 100%. so it will take several days to finish the job.
anyway the space is shrinking slowly. so it is working fine.

  thanks again for your kindly help!

Regards,
tbskyd