[vdo-devel] can vdo fix corruption by itself?

Sweet Tea Dorminy sweettea at redhat.com
Tue Nov 24 14:44:27 UTC 2020

> >     Device mapper status: 0 64424509440 vdo /dev/drbd1 normal -
> > opening online 472234581 2684272631
> It will change to normal - online online when "index opening" finishes.
> >     Index sparse: enabled
> >     Index status: opening
>
> Device is online but index is not. I think that until index finish opening deduplication won't work for new writes.

Precisely so. VDO metadata and the index will recover after unclean
shutdown; VDO recovery is captured in "recovery percent" which is N/A
when VDO is fully recovered. Index recovery isn't captured in any
statistic, but as Lukasz said, 'opening' indicates it's recovering,
and deduplication won't work until it has finished opening ('normal'
status)

>ok. then I think I can only wait for it. it is doing some kind of
>random read for several hours and eat all the disk IO. is that normal?

Yes, hopefully it doesn't interfere with using VDO, only with
deduplication. You'll still get deduplication of identical blocks
written simultaneously, and of zero blocks; and compression, if it's
enabled. Apologies.

Hope this helps

Sweet Tea
a software engineer on the VDO team