[vdo-devel] Broken after update to Fedora 34?

Maxim Burgerhout maximburgerhout at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 09:26:34 UTC 2021

Since my upgrade to Fedora 34, vdo stopped working for me because the
kernel module couldn't be loaded anymore.

apr 30 10:30:59 taishogun.thuisnet.lan systemd[1]: Starting VDO volume
services...
apr 30 10:30:59 taishogun.thuisnet.lan vdo[1527]: vdo: ERROR - Kernel
module kvdo not installed
apr 30 10:30:59 taishogun.thuisnet.lan vdo[1527]: vdo: ERROR - modprobe:
ERROR: could not insert 'kvdo': Permission denied
apr 30 10:30:59 taishogun.thuisnet.lan vdo[1527]: ERROR - Kernel module
kvdo not installed
apr 30 10:30:59 taishogun.thuisnet.lan vdo[1527]: ERROR - modprobe: ERROR:
could not insert 'kvdo': Permission denied

I'm running VDO from the rhawalsh copr, and have not done anything outside
of upgrading my machine to Fedora 34.

After manually modprobing kvdo and restarting the vdo service, everything
comes back to life.

For completeness, my VDO volume exists inside a LUKS volume, automounted
through systemd inside my crypted home directory, but I don't think that
matters much as the error is around kernel modules :)

If you need some testing done, let me know. Happy to help.