[vdo-devel] VDO over lvmthin?

Sweet Tea Dorminy sweettea at redhat.com
Sat Aug 7 00:58:56 UTC 2021

Greetings;

Unfortunately still true. While VDO not passing down discards is one
issue, it can be avoided by not thin provisioning the dm-thin device.
Additionally, though, with thin default block size of 256k or even
64k, VDO's 4k block size means snapshots will need to do a lot of IO
-- a 64k read and 64k write when breaking sharing between one snapshot
and another for 64k, etc. I'm not entirely sure whether this
eliminates the performance benefits of thin-based snapshots. I agree
having a snapshotable underlying block device is useful for backups,
and it would be great if there were a fast way to do so; I'm just not
clear which snapshot solution is faster in VDO's case (disregarding
the discard issue).

Apologies,

Sweet Tea