[virt-tools-list] Connecting to a physical drive

Jefferson Ogata - NOAA Federal jefferson.ogata at noaa.gov
Sat Jan 3 04:52:49 UTC 2015

On 2015-01-03 04:06, Blake McBride wrote:
> After hours of updates and installs, the VM wouldn't boot anymore.  After two 12+ hour days, I have given up.  Today I installed VirtualBox and tried it there.  Everything installed and ran perfectly without a single problem.  Was able to use the raw drive in minutes.  Never a boot problem.  Install went very fast.
>
> Being a long-time user of KVM, my takeaway is that KVM works well with Linux.  I seem to have pretty good luck with 32 bit Windows too.  64 bit Windows support is not ready for prime time.

I have no trouble running 64-bit Windows on KVM. Do it all the time with many different Windows variants. I suspect your issue has to do with some other process messing with the label on the disk you are trying to use. Another possibility is that there is actually a defect on that disk. Have you run a self-test?

--
Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata at noaa.gov>
National Oceanographic Data Center