[virt-tools-list] Curious Connectivity Issue

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Nov 17 01:13:13 UTC 2015

On 11/16/2015 06:28 AM, Gustave Stresen-Reuter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to the list and not even sure if this is the right list to be writing
> to so please feel free to redirect if needed.
>
> I've summarized my issue in this blog post:
> http://chicagoitsystems.com/centos-7-kvm-macvtap-loses-all-connectivity/
>
> However, since writing that, I've found that I can regain connectivity by
> stopping and restarting the guest that uses the Macvtap connections.
> Apparently, the command that executes that creates the interfaces does not
> include the "allow reconnections" options.+
>
> I would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the direction I need
> to go to verify that this is indeed the issue (like, modifying the script used
> to start the machine from the command line to see if I can add… oh wait, maybe
> there is a switch in the XML that is not being set???)
>
> Anyway, as you can see, I would appreciate any pointers people on this list
> can give.

Are those screenshots from inside the guest, or is the host side screwed up?

If it's just the guest side, maybe this can be fixed by emulating a VM nic
unplug and replug event. You can do that with

sudo virsh domif-setlink $VM --interface $MAC --state up|down

So give that a shot and let us know if it works

Thanks,
Cole