[almighty] CLI Documentation

Robert Kratky rkratky at redhat.com
Tue Aug 16 15:48:01 UTC 2016

Hi,

A couple of points from a docs perspective:

* Guide vs reference docs -- a man page is usually almost on par with the '--help' switch when judging docs. If a man page has the EXAMPLES section, then we can talk about something like a guide-like, topic-based experience.

I'm saying this because we need both -- man pages (and --help) as well as a 'guide'. The man page is for quick reference -- for users who already know the basics, who already know their way around, and they just need a reminder (what's the syntax? which switch do I use? etc.).

A 'guide' (or a set of topics) is for those who need to wrap their heads around the concepts. How does the installation process work? What are the prerequisites? Or what steps do I follow to make stuff happen? As has been mentioned, it's also for those who want to review the docs before they actually start using the product.

* The docs team would love to help wih this, but we currently have no resources for that. We've been promised more people, but no hard dates.

That said, we're ready to start gathering requirements -- if nothing else, then we can use it to plan and estimate required capacities. Depending on priorities, we can also start to think about shifting resources, so that at least basics are documented.

About docs requirements, please, either talk to me, or file issues in https://issues.jboss.org/projects/RHDEVDOCS/ (use the 'Almighty' component).

Thanks.
Robert