[almighty] Cache solution for Almighty core

Alexey Kazakov alkazako at redhat.com
Tue Nov 8 00:15:28 UTC 2016

Hi all,

At some point we will probably need some universal cache solution which
we could use different types of objects in almighty core. I'm going to
spend some time on researching in this area but there are a few
questions I would like to discuss with the team.
There are some solutions like Memcached or Redis which could be used but
they require to have a server with the cache service (on a dedicated
container?) where we could keep WIT, WI and any other artefacts which we
want to access some value by a key. Some solutions like Memcached are
pure in-memory some like Redis can be persistent but my biggest concern
for now is what approaches are best for microservices world.
In monolith world we could have a shared cache server. One DB - one
cache service. But I'm not sure if it's worth having an internal
dedicated cache server for each relevant microserver.
Currently we are kinda building a monolith and a cache server could
work. But how our cache system should evolve when we start
splitting/introducing microservices in almighty-core? Is there any
concept of shared cache between microservices or it's always hidden by
the microservice implementation and the microservice just takes care of
synchronization of its internal model/DB and uses some internal fully
independent cache if needed.

Any thoughts?