[almighty] Portfolio backlogs vs Product backlogs?

Michael Kleinhenz kleinhenz at redhat.com
Thu Nov 10 12:19:35 UTC 2016

> My original understanding was that product backlogs are where work is
> scoped, estimated and executed, and portfolio backlogs should just reflect
> this in a rolled up manner. A portfolio WI is 'done', when the rolled up
> stories in product backlogs are 'done'.

I also thought exactly that until I talked to some POs at my old
company in my last week there. I was talking to them about project
management software in preparation for this job. They consistently
told me that if the lower level stories in the product backlogs are
done, this does not mean the portfolio "story" is done. There are
different Definitions of Done in place on the different layers and
there also may be additional tasks on the higher level, like "review
and approve".

-- Michael

--
Michael Kleinhenz
Principal Software Engineer

Red Hat Deutschland GmbH
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14
85630 Grasbrunn
Germany

RED HAT | TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED.
Red Hat GmbH, www.de.redhat.com,
Registered seat: Grasbrunn, Commercial register: Amtsgericht München,
HRB 153243,
Managing Directors: Paul Argiry, Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham,
Michael O'Neill