[almighty] How would the 'search' URLs look like for the ALM Search service ?

Shoubhik Bose shbose at redhat.com
Thu Oct 20 07:23:17 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

Wanted to discuss how the /api/search URL(s) would look like.

To set the scope of the discussion right, I must mention that in this
sprint we are working on supporting search on ID , URL and full text ( for
title and description only ) of a workitem.

   1. The ID search is currently only on workitems. ( But in future it
   would be supported for other objects as well. Example, Users,etc. )

   To search by ID --

   /api/search/q*=id:4324*
   This is going to look up the workitem table *only*.

   2.
   To search by URL --

   /api/search/q*=url:http://demo.almighty.io/#/detail/71
   <http://demo.almighty.io/#/detail/71>*

   3.
   Search by ID *AND* URL is not supported.
   If a q=xxyzz  contains both URL and ID, we only pickup the URL and
   discard the rest.

   Example.
   /api/search/q=*id:4324*+

*url:http://demo.almighty.io/#/detail/71
   <http://demo.almighty.io/#/detail/71> *is effectively

   /api/search/q=

*url:http://demo.almighty.io/#/detail/71
   <http://demo.almighty.io/#/detail/71> *
   4.
   Free text search is supported only on workitem title and description

   /api/search/q:=*title:some title substring*+

5.
   The delimiter for multiple clauses ( we shall support "AND" now ) will
   be "+" . ( inspired from Github ) as already used above. We need to
   consider situations where the string itself contains a "+" by escaping them
   properly.

   6. if the search query contains a mix of ID, URL , title,description :
   The order in which we are going to look for fields to make a decision on
   the search is:

   1. URL
   2. ID
   3. title and description ( for free text search )

   Let me know your thoughts :)

   -
   Shoubhik