[almighty] How would the 'search' URLs look like for the ALM Search service ?

Thomas Mäder tmader at redhat.com
Thu Oct 20 08:03:44 UTC 2016

Hi Shoubik,

On 10/20/2016 09:23 AM, Shoubhik Bose wrote:

>  1. The ID search is currently only on workitems. ( But in future it
>     would be supported for other objects as well. Example, Users,etc. )
>
>     To search by ID --
>
>     /api/search/q*=id:4324*
>     This is going to look up the workitem table *only*.

What is the reason we are not using the "filter" parameter on the
/api/workitems endpoint for searching?

What are we searching for here? A prefix? A substring? If it's a search
for the full id, we can just go to /api/workitems/4324. No need to search.

>  1. To search by URL --
>
>     /api/search/q*=url:http://demo.almighty.io/#/detail/71*

The work item service has no idea how to parse front end URL's. The
front end needs to extract the work item id from this and use that for
linking.

>  1. Search by ID *AND* URL is not supported.
>     If a q=xxyzz  contains both URL and ID, we only pickup the URL and
>     discard the rest.
>
>     Example.
>     /api/search/q=*id:4324*+*url:http://demo.almighty.io/#/detail/71
>
>     *is effectively
>
>     **/api/search/q=*url:http://demo.almighty.io/#/detail/71
>     *

I don't think we should ignore parameters. If the query is not in a
correct format, we should return an error.

>  1. Free text search is supported only on workitem title and description
>
>     /api/search/q:=*title:some title substring*+*description:some
>     description substring
>     *

What does "free text search" mean? where title like "%some%" or title
like "%title%" or something else (like a google search)? If we do
something like a google search, we'll need to think about ranking and
limiting the number of results.

>  1. The delimiter for multiple clauses ( we shall support "AND" now )
>     will be "+" . ( inspired from Github ) as already used above. We
>     need to consider situations where the string itself contains a "+"
>     by escaping them properly.

As these are url parameters, we'll also need to delimit them somehow.
Also, we don't only have text fields, how are we going to extend the
format to other operators (<, >, etc.)
> if the search query contains a mix of ID, URL , title,description :
>
>  1. The order in which we are going to look for fields to make a
>     decision on the search is:
>
>     1. URL
>     2. ID
>     3. title and description ( for free text search )

What "decision" do you mean here? Are you thinking about ranking?

/Thomas