[almighty] Starting a thread - how to best simulate a user login in ALMighty UI for test purposes?

Aslak Knutsen aslak at redhat.com
Fri Oct 28 09:44:29 UTC 2016

In "Continuous Enterprise Development in Java" we didn't fake it, we
actually did a full-scale login. We did it in the background as an
Arquillian extension to avoid the TestCase having to care about it. The
test case was written without security in mind, but security was enabled in
the background if setup required it. (e.g. same test case could be used as
an integration and full functional test)

Example using htmlunit to do a login cycle to get a session/token using
Twitter as provider:
https://github.com/arquillian/continuous-enterprise-development/blob/master/code/application/service/security/src/test/java/org/cedj/geekseek/service/security/test/arquillian/TwitterLogin.java

It requires the username/password secrets to run, but that's the only way
as far as I know to do a full test.

Depending on the level of testing you're asking for, there is a REST API to
call to get valid tokens that are open if you run the server in dev mode:

    ALMIGHTY_DEVELOPER_MODE_ENABLED=1 ./bin/alm

    http://localhost:8080/api/login/generate

-aslak-