[almighty] Major Architectural Question for the Build

Tomas Nozicka tnozicka at redhat.com
Mon Oct 31 14:57:42 UTC 2016

Hi Pete,

(see inline)

On Thu, 2016-10-27 at 13:15 -0400, Pete Muir wrote:
> This reminded me of the VS Code/LSP architecture. In this
> architecture there are a number of proceses running:
>
> 1) The VS Code tool
> 2) A server which can control and talk to any LSP implementation via
> a socket or REST or other transport protocol
> 3) The LSP implementation(s) written in the language of choice,
> talking a JSON protocol
I like the separation and implementation language independence.

> This is closest to the the Consumer model that Michael describes, but
> I think we could also look at also being able to run the plugin (and
> the thing it connects to) on our servers, but using transports other
> than HTTP (e.g. sockets).
I am not opposing the idea, but would you mind laying out some story
why it would be useful?

>From my point of view vendors can run such service on OpenShift Online
or any other server (or cloud).

Even we were (are) planing to run OSBP on different server using
HTTPS.

I don't see the use case for supporting sockets (or similar mechanisms)
especially when Almighty will be running in the cloud; if such
mechanism could even work there.

> I don't think allowing people to write scripts that execute inside
> our processes is a good idea.
+1

Regards,
Tomas