[almighty] Meeting Results: Functional UI Tests

Michael Kleinhenz kleinhenz at redhat.com
Wed Sep 21 15:48:41 UTC 2016

Hi,

we had a meeting today on how we proceed with the functional UI tests.
We looked at a setup based on Selenium/Webdriver + Protractor with the
following results/takeaways:

- the setup is lightweight and easy to use. It uses the same language
for tests that we also use in the implementation.

- it works with any browser (also mobile browsers) and is capable of
doing even large testsetups with multiple real mobile devices
physically connected to the test machine etc.

- it runs equally well with PhantomJS (headless WebKit) for in-background tests.

- the use of device clouds later on is possible.

- the core and other external services can be easily mocked, so that
the tests can run in a data-stable environment without much setup.

We have a working demo with the UI project. Leonard will take a look
at it in the coming days.

We also talked briefly about conventions on naming and filesystem
location of tests. Also, it might be possible to re-use the
test-implementations for the E2E tests later. At that point, it may be
required to relocate the test impls to a different location, but thats
TBD.

A preliminary demo is available here:
https://github.com/michaelkleinhenz/almighty-ui/tree/protractor-tests
(not cleaned up, might need some dependencies to be installed
manually, you'll see :-)

-- Michael

--
Michael Kleinhenz
Principal Software Engineer

Red Hat Deutschland GmbH
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14
85630 Grasbrunn
Germany

RED HAT | TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED.
Red Hat GmbH, www.de.redhat.com,
Registered seat: Grasbrunn, Commercial register: Amtsgericht München,
HRB 153243,
Managing Directors: Paul Argiry, Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham,
Michael O'Neill