[almighty] github merge option for almighty-core

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Thu Sep 22 14:25:20 UTC 2016

> I use the green button. Why would I not?

if the PR is already rebased to master then the green button will do the
right thing.
if the PR contains just *one* author and many commits and the last
comment makes sense then the green button will almost do the right
thing.

If the PR is not rebased to master - it will create (potentially)
unnecessary git merges.
If the PR has multiple good commit messages - the squash will make them
really hard to read.
If the PR has multiple authors - some of those authors will *not* be
recognised as contributor.
If you haven't tested the PR then the green button will do the wrong
thing too ;)

So yes, the big green button can be tempting and it *sometimes* works,
but in other cases it is just wrong/bad/annoying.

/max

> /Thomas
>
> On 09/22/2016 03:31 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>> is this not just about the green button in github web ui ?
>>
>> The button noone should use anyway ? :)
>>
>> You can still do rebase/merges/squashes as need be on command line,
>> right?
>>
>> /max
>>
>>> Rebase to master, from the PR  would - but then a merge back to
>>> master
>>> would still squash all the commits into 1 change at point of merge
>>> back into master. Thats how the git repo is setup at the moment, and
>>> seems wrong to me.
>>>
>>> If a feature is worked on for a few days, across the team, and then
>>> pushed into a single PR to merge into master, we are destroying the
>>> entire history of that code.
>>>
>>> regards,

>>> - --
>>> Karanbir Singh, Project Lead, The CentOS Project, London, UK
>>> Red Hat Ext. 8274455 | DID: 0044 207 009 4455
>>>

>> /max
>> http://about.me/maxandersen

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen