[almighty] (no subject)

Andrew Lee Rubinger alr at redhat.com
Fri Sep 23 19:21:36 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Leonard Dimaggio <ldimaggi at redhat.com>
wrote:

> +1 - yes! A short meeting/walkthrough will be much better than a long
> email thread!

Love the enthusiasm for the topic!

I hope you won't mind my case against a meeting here, Len. :)

* Email is public
* Email is auditable
* Writing down thoughts encourages organization and vetting of ideas before
they're expressed
* Email is asynchronous
* Email allows others who missed the even to contribute later

Meetings, while on the surface may appear convenient or quick, are a
synchronization point requiring everyone working independently and in
parallel to mindfully disengage from their work.  And it takes time to ramp
back up into a productive state.

We're still lacking some good public channels (realtime chat, threaded
feature-rich forums), but as a general rule I believe our position should
be:

  Do technical design and development discussions in public and writing by
default, and have a good reason to call a meeting.

Let's get Almighty to live open source!

S,
ALR

> On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 12:40 PM, Monica Granfield <mgranfie at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Max brings up some great questions and issues. This is a great
>>> discussion. I know for me, from a UX perspective I have no idea which
>>> approach is the most useful and appropriate one. This functionality is
>>> fairly deep in the product. It seems like walking through these ideas and
>>> how they will work out up against use cases and what they are intended for,
>>> would be a useful exercise. There are some great ideas here, and because
>>> they are so foundational to the product. it seems like it would be useful
>>> to understand the workflows, use cases and how these ideas map to them and
>>> if they hold up or break and earlier for something deep like this is
>>> better. Would anyone be interested in this exercise?
>>

>> - Monica
>>

>>> Message: 2
>>> Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 16:23:42 +0200
>>> From: "Max Rydahl Andersen" <manderse at redhat.com>
>>> To: "Michael Kleinhenz" <kleinhenz at redhat.com>
>>> Cc: ALMighty-public <almighty-public at redhat.com>
>>> Subject: Re: [almighty] Idea: modelling iterations

>>> I think this would be going too far IMO.
>>>
>>> Iterations and labels feels to me like things that warrants first class
>>> citizen and
>>> not just something encoded inside the generic work item.
>>>
>>> That said - I agree that things like iterations and other data that are
>>> used
>>> for grouping/categorizing should be as nice and light to use. Nothing