[almighty] How are we handling migrations at the moment ?

Shoubhik Bose shbose at redhat.com
Mon Sep 26 04:36:16 UTC 2016

Hi Konrad,
No problem!
I should have brought it up before but unfortunately I realized the need
for an 'alter' only after the test I wrote didn't pass :)

In my opinion, as Thomas mentioned we should/could 'cheat' this time and
run the database SQL directly on the database Instead of doing the same via
the framework we are planning to put in place.

Thanks,
Shoubhik

On Sep 25, 2016 7:11 PM, "Baiju Muthukadan" <bmuthuka at redhat.com> wrote:

Hi Max,

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Max Andersen <manderse at redhat.com> wrote:
> Why fork ? Is it not enough to just not use the Cassandra parts ?
>
> Also, wasn't a similar library found and it was rejected since it only
> allowed .sql migrations where we wanted go based migrations too ?

As per earlier discussion, there were three reasons for not choosing
the other project:
https://github.com/almighty/almighty-core/issues/184#issuecomment-246901574

> 1. We only have to support one database (PostgreSQL) and not the many
others supported by the project.

This is one the reason that I forked the project.  Because the
original author may not be interested to remove features.

> 2. We want to have pre- and post-migration scripts (probably in Go) that
need to run smart migration steps, that would otherwise be too cumbersome
to write in pure SQL files.

I have implemented this feature. See the documentation:
https://godoc.org/github.com/baijum/pgmigration

If the first reason for forking can be ignored, I can send this
feature to the original project and we can use that. Please let me
know.

> 3. We don't want to support down-migrations.

The current package doesn't have down-migrations.

Regards,
Baiju M