[almighty] Names and Definitions

Andrew Lee Rubinger alr at redhat.com
Mon Sep 26 19:07:07 UTC 2016

Something I'd like to iron out sooner than later are common terms and
definitions, because getting to a mutual understanding about what we're
referring to starting to be pretty relevant. :)

Alongside the discussions we had on this list last week, could I ask the
UXD team to take the lead on moderating the definitions and relationships
among the following constructs?  A graphical representation of
relationships where appropriate would be wonderful.

* "Almighty System" - An instance of Almighty.  Contains all "Almighty
User" accounts and "Almighty Projects".
* "Almighty Project" - A top-level container for an application shared
among users/teams.  May hold N "Codebases", has issue tracking, build and
deployment environments.  Eventually will have realtime communications.
* "Codebase" - Basically a repository.  Can be N in a "Project"
* "Environment" - Target for running builds or deployments
* "Almighty User" - My account
* "Workspace" - The WebIDE view of an "Almighty Project".  Contains the
"Codebases", each of which may require its own Stack to be built/tested.
* "Stack" - Runtime to build a codebase or deploy its resultant artifacts.
In practice, equates to an image which may be run as a container.  NOTE:
currently Che, as I understand it, has one Stack per Workspace.  We'll need
to address that in order to support opening, for instance, a Java codebase
and a Node codebase in the same workspace.
* Other important concepts I've missed here

The terms definitions I'm using here are placeholders and could likely do
with something else that's descriptive and not so overloaded.  The
definitions are also up for debate -- everything is open to review now, but
let's try to get things at this level to gel quickly.

S,
ALR

--
Red Hat Developer Programs Architecture