[almighty] Idea: modelling iterations

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Tue Sep 27 08:09:48 UTC 2016

On 26 Sep 2016, at 16:39, Michael Kleinhenz wrote:

> I think iterations as a data model are more of an intrinsic concept as
> well, BUT I am not sure that this holds true with operations and/or
> associations on iterations. For example: there may be complex metadata
> associated with iterations or iterations may be more that 1:n
> associations to WIs.

more metadata - sure, but that is not a big deal.
"more than 1:n associations" - not following ? care to elaborate ?

> This may impose complex operations on iterations
> (think filter/search/associate). To model iterations seperately from
> the WIT/WI model may impose doing very similar things twice.

I do not see that necessarily as a bad thing. I'm way more concerned if
we have to wait to have everything in place for the generic WIT model
to actually be able to make something happen.

> Do we
> need that stuff? I don't know, but I from the PDD, I think the generic
> goal is to be open to any PM concept possible, even ones that we don't
> know about yet.

I think we really have to stop thinking the PDD or Almighty is going to
try
solve *all* problems and all project models from day one. It won't.
And I will argue that trying to do so and be generic everywhere is going
to slow us down way too much.

We have to take a stance and be opinionated around what project models
concept we will include - and just the fact we are talking about
iterations
as opposed to sprints, phases or similar we already generalised the
concept.

Generalizing it even more I think we will be watering down our public
api
and it becomes super hard to use.

> What we have to do here is to balance the "genericness" of the model:
> be as specific as necessary to keep the complexity low while be as
> generic as possible to keep the usecases as open as possible. That is
> the challenge.

Yes, but I think with the suggested model that is what we do.

> Considering that, I see massive advantages in modelling iterations as
> WITs, but I think that total "generic" approach will impose a lot of
> complexity when working with iterations (like, deleting them possibly
> will require complex graph traversing). So I would go for a "glorified
> Todd approach" like Max sketched: a sperate hierarchical,
> metatdata-containing tag-like system. In my opinion that balances the
> complexity against openess pretty well.

+1 :)

What I like about it is that the first initial implementation of this
could
simply be a text field and we can migrate to more structured as we move
along.
/max

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen