[almighty] github merge option for almighty-core

Aslak Knutsen aslak at redhat.com
Wed Sep 28 12:41:21 UTC 2016

My 2 cents

* A single commit in master should be a coherent change; buildable,
testable and deployable

* No-one cares about the 30 commits it took you to get to the point of
making this single change later when trying to figure out why/when
something failed

* The source branch is irrelevant after the change hit master

* There are _always_ more people involved in a commit beyond
Author/Committer. We just like to pretend they don't exist and don't
represent them in the commit. There are other ways to describe this then
the two fields provided by git, e.g.:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/38e088546522e1e86d2b8f401a1354ad3a9b3303

* A PullRequest shouldn't normally be about anything beyond a single
change/commit. If it shows to be Multiple things, then either split out as
two PullRequests or at least keep them as two commits.

* "Squash & Merge" vs. "Rebase & Merge" doesn't matter, it depends on the
use case. Squash makes a single Patch of the difference between PullRequest
branch and master and applies that on top of the master branch as a single
new commit. Rebase rewrites the Pull Request branch to be on top of the
master branch essentially creating all new commits then merge onto the
master branch(in GitHub the rebase is _not_ reflected in the source Pull
Request branch. The source Pull Request will have a different set of SHA
commits compared to master). The benefit of Squash is that you get to
rewrite the commit msg, the benefit of Rebase is that you can do multiple
commits in one go.

-aslak-