[almighty] Communication Channels

Andrew Lee Rubinger alr at redhat.com
Fri Sep 30 14:49:09 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 8:19 AM, Karanbir Singh <kbsingh at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 28/09/16 19:04, Andrew Lee Rubinger wrote:
> > As we continue to move technical discussions to the public space, I
> > was hoping we could outline a plan for various mediums.
> >
> > Realtime Chat:  I know we've looked at Mattermost and RocketChat;
> > is there a timeline in place for when we might expect one of these
> > to be available for use?  In the meantime I'll advocate using
> > Freenode IRC's #almighty channel.
>
> I am guessing that IRC is optional at this point in time, if not - the
> other venues need to be shut down and content actually moved over
> exclusively - otherwise we've just split chatter.

Totally.  For instance yesterday we had an open development workblock
hosted on #alrmighty/Freenode.  Which is why I'm looking forward to
something that works for everyone and is open (with IRC hooks as
lowest-common-denominator for people coming from other RHT groups or the
community).

> w.r.t the chat system, I am aiming to have a solution in place by the
> end of October after having run through atleast a week or so of
> evaluation by the relevant teams.

That'd be wonderful; looking forward to it!

> > Forums/Threaded Discussions: Max has suggested Hyperkitty; Baiju
> > has noted https://www.discourse.org/.  Is anyone owning this area
> > to gather our requirements, survey the field, make recommendations,
> > and stand up an instance?  Mail alone has proven to be difficult,
> > I've found, once discussions take tangents.
>
> What sort of conversations are we expecting to have there on the lists
> or emails etc that cant otherwise be consolidated in github's own
> issues/PRs, complemented by the existing public mailing list and a
> chat room ?

Threaded ones.  Linear representations of these talks can direct a
discussion into tangents pretty easily.

> if its a case of disjointed user driven content, then can we just
> adopt a relevant hash/tag or something similar in stackoverflow ? ie.
> keep the content where the people who are likely to be contributing
> already have a footprint.

Not opposed, but I don't think that solves the "longform development
discussion" problem. :)

For now will use GitHub issues discussions for design/development talk and
see how well it holds up.

S,
ALR

--