[almighty] Clarification around Types

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Wed Jan 25 11:13:51 UTC 2017

On 25 Jan 2017, at 9:55, Pete Muir wrote:

> Oh, I just realised what you are saying. You would add some sort of
> label
> or flag to a type which indicates it is a root in the UI, e.g. by
> putting
> the type in a category, and flagging that category. Yes, that makes
> sense.

Yes, you got it.

To be precise, the category/tag/label is not *on* the type, but defined
in the process definition.

Initially I suggest we just hardcode specific category for the planner
backlog UI - but over time
the intent is that you in the process def can list what kind of UI views
you'll want and those
UI views would look up via the category what types would be the
focus/root of its view.

But for "crawl", just have a way to categorize types with a specific
hardcoded category the UI will use.

/max

> On 25 January 2017 at 09:54, Pete Muir <pmuir at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> On 24 January 2017 at 16:56, Max Rydahl Andersen
>> <manderse at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> /

>>> I think of it as the root work item type in the tree of work item
>>> type
>>> parent-child relationships.
>>>
>>> That's quite verbose, so I would suggest shortening to something
>>> like
>>> "root work item type".
>>>

>>> I think root item is too limiting, at least if we expect to be able
>>> capture both PDD items (vision, experiences, value props, etc.) and
>>> scrum
>>> items (epic, story, tasks) in the same Space.
>>>
>>> Here there will be either one root (Vision) very high up or two
>>> roots
>>> Vision and Epic.
>>>
>>> I think we are better of very early on to introduce a way to
>>> categorize
>>> types, i.e. "Epic" are of category "backlog planning hierarchy"
>>> which the
>>> backlog ui will use for the root of its queries....
>>>

>> I think we're saying the same thing, I'm just saying that you mark
>> certain
>> types as root types, you're saying we mark a category of things root
>> type.
>> Both seem fine approaches to me.
>>

>>> /max

/max