Ide not recognised

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at redhat.com
Fri Apr 2 10:16:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 18:02, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> On Friday 02 April 2004 04:10, Chris Kloiber wrote:
> > I guess you haven't seen this bios. There are literally *NO* options in
> > it. I've never seen such a stripped down bios in my life. Information
> > fields, boot order and password are about it. eMachines believes they
> > know the best bios settings, so they don't let you change any. When I
> > tell them the bios is unusable in any 64-bit operating system, they tell
> > me to use the restore CD's included. They only care that it works with
> > 32-bit Windows.
>
> Surprise!
>

> > Anybody want to by a used laptop, cheap? Free bullet holes included, no
> > additional charge. :(
>
> Mmmm ... and I was thinking of buying one of these.  I believe I will look
> around a bit more.
>
> Are the problems you having with FC1, FC2, or both?
>
> Gene

Anything 64-bit, *including* the public beta of 64-bit Windows.
32-bit linux OS's work reasonably well. If I had to do it again I might
try an HP AMD64 laptop (didn't know they existed until *after* my
impulse purchase... /me bad). They are having some reported problems as
well, but not nearly as bad as eMachines. The display is bigger, the
video 64MB nVidia (at least there are AMD64 drivers!) Also HP has more
"Linux CLUE". I wouldn't expect a complete blowoff from their support
department.

--
Chris Kloiber, RHCX
Red Hat, Inc.