shopping for laptop

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Sun Apr 11 17:51:54 UTC 2004

OK, I am beginning my search for an Athlon64 laptop.

One of the ones I have found is the HP ZV5000 and its apparent twin the Compaq
R3000Z.  Both of these are winthin my target cost of around $1800 plus tax,
tip, etc. when I configure them for options I want.

One of the vendors I would normally look at very seriously is Dell but they
seem to be avoiding the AMD64 processors.

I am looking for something which can be dual boot (Windows + FC2).  It is
important to me that it be able to run FC2.

I am aware of the eMachine's M6807 but am put off on this unit because of
comments about FC2 install problems and some shortcomings with respect to
configuration.

I am aware that there are other laptops/notebooks available (brand-x) but have
no idea how these will work or what they cost.

Any comments [pro or con]?

Any other suggestions?