more -- ix86 packages on x86_64 system

Jason Knight tuxpenguin at austin.rr.com
Mon Apr 12 05:35:50 UTC 2004

>I don't believe the apt/yum repository owners will begin making
>available x86_64 packages until either someone buys them some x86_64
>machines, or until they feel the urge to splurge on one (or two)
>themselves. I have felt that urge, and finally got FC2-test2 installed
>on my eMachines M6807 (with no help from anaconda or the kernel, I can
>tell you!) and am looking for a good x86_64 repo myself. I wanted to put
>a repo up myself, but since I live in the 'good old USA', that idea went
>down in flames.

Perhaps if we (as x86_64 machine users) were able to offer our abilites
(compiling that is) to various repos to create a kind of joint
partnership then they would be willing to open up a x86_64 repo. For
example I know that fedora.us has a bugzilla type of framework for
package submission, perhaps we should be rebuilding packages as x86_64
and then submitting them?

--
Jason Knight
Fedora Core 2 Test 2 *x86_64*