ASUS SK8V and Sound

Mark mark at harddata.com
Mon Apr 19 19:59:25 UTC 2004

On April 15, 2004 04:09 am, Gene Czarcinski <gene at czarc.net> wrote:
> OK, I am looking for someone who has a ASUS SK8V motherboard (the one for
> socket940) and who is running Fedora Core 2 Test 2.  There appear to be a
> number of folks who have the ASUS K8V socket754 motherboard and it may
> truly be identical except for the socket but I do not know that so I am
> focusing on the SK8V.
>
> My problem is sound.  The SK8V has a VIA8322 adapter on the mobo ( VIA
> Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)).
>
> It does not work on FC2.  It works fine on FC1 but the sound drivers are
> OSS on FC1 and ALSA on FC2.

The OSS drivers don't really work. Try running a flash animation with sound.
The OSS module installs but it doesn't have proper support for this sound
chip.

> On FC2, everything (e.g,
> system-config-soundcard) goes through the motions but no sound comes from
> the speakers.  es, I have the volume settings all maxed out and (after the
> selinux policy was fixed) that seems to be working ... but no sound.
>
> Anyone with an SK8V and running FC2, is your sound working or not?

It should be. You may want to patch the kernel with the current alsa patches.
I know my S754 board works but I am running a custom kernel which is patched
with the 1.04 drivers.

Mark Lane, CET mailto:mark at harddata.com
Hard Data Ltd. http://www.harddata.com
T: 01-780-456-9771   F: 01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue Edmonton, AB, Canada, T5X 1Y3
--> Ask me about our Excellent 1U Systems! <--