DVD drive not recognized

Ashley J Gittins amd64 at purple.dropbear.id.au
Fri Aug 6 11:49:09 UTC 2004

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 06:44 am, Saurabh Barve wrote:
> I tried doing;
>
> $ mkdir -p /mnt/cdrom
> $ mount /dev/hda /mnt/cdrom
>
> I got an error:
>
> /dev/hda is not a valid block device.
>
> Saurabh.

Hi there,
	First of all, I have a GSA-4081B in my amd64 system running FC2-x86_64, it
works fine. Since this is a dvd burner and you had it working under a pre-2.6
kernel perhaps you are using SCSI emulation? This is not longer
required/possible(?) under 2.6, so ensure you don't have any kernel params in
grub.conf that might be switching it on.
Something silly... when you tried to mount the drive, did you have a written
disc in there?
Failing that, could you post the full dmesg from a fresh boot (or link to it
if it's very long). Ideally if you can include bootup and a mount attempt
that might help.

Cheers,
	Ash.