[Fwd: Re: What to install on an amd64 machine?]

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Tue Dec 28 01:10:53 UTC 2004

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: What to install on an amd64 machine?
Date: 	Mon, 27 Dec 2004 19:44:27 -0500
From: 	Robert L Cochran <cochranb at speakeasy.net>
To: 	Alexander Volovics <awol at home.nl>

I have the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard with the Athlon 64 3500+
(the new chips built on 90 nanometer technology...that's the Winchester
core I think) cpu. I installed FC3 x86_64 without any hesitation.
Actually I've been using the x86_64 version of FC3 ever since it was in
beta, starting with the 'test2' beta release. The AMD 64 has such superb
performance that I have no plans to go back to the Intel platform. And
I'm not missing anything. I have every single application that I had
before. The difference is that the 64 bit processor is far, far faster
and hence conserves my valuable time. I can literally do more. One thing
that really opened my eyes is how fast MySQL (64 bit binaries) can
crunch through tables with 110,000 rows.

You really must install the latest BIOS update for the motherboard.

Other than that, you should have no problems at all.

Perhaps in a year I'll upgrade to a newer motherboard and a faster AMD
CPU. For now, I am a very happy camper.

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA