install extra ix86 packages after system installation

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Mon Mar 22 18:20:20 UTC 2004

The FC1 x86_64 is capable of running both 32-bit applications and 64-bit
applications.  FC1 currently includes a few ix86 libraries which are needed
to support the application packages not yet ported/converted to 64-bit (e.g.,
mozilla and openoffice).  During installation (and post installation using
up2date to update packages), the actual files installed seem to be "the right
ones".

For configuration files going into /etc and most (hopefully all) files going
into /usr/share, there is no problem installing both packages since the files
should be identical.  Similarly, there is no problem for library files since
ix86 packages will use /lib, /usr/lib, and /usr/X11R6/lib whereas x86_64
packages will use /lib64, /usr/lib64, and /usr/X11R6/lib64.  The problem is
with the the program files which go into /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin,
and /usr/X11R6/bin.

Now a lot of packages which provide libraries and "clean" and only provide
libraries (and configuration, data files, etc. which do not matter).
However, some packages (e.g., openssl) which provide libraries also provide
one or more program files (/usr/bin/openssl in the case of openssl).  This is
a problem since the last package installed will determine which binary is
installed.

I have raised this problem on other mailing lists and not gotten any (let
alone a satisfactory) answer.

To demonstrate to myself that what I describe above is what happens I ran a
test.  The system is an Opteron 140 on an ASUS SK8V motherboard.  An
"everything" install was performed for FC1 x86_64.  The package I chose for
my test was e2fsprogs (it did not require anything which was not already
installed).

I first checked a couple of the program files (badblocks and blkid) with the
file command and, sure enough, they were x86_64 binaries. I then did:

  rpm  -ivh  e2fsprogs-1.34-1.i386.rpm

I then checked the files again with the file command ... badblocks and blkid
were now 32-bit applications.

I then reinstalled the x86_64 package with:

  rpm -Uvh --force e2fsprogs-1.34-1.x86_64.rpm

Sure enough, the programs were back to being 64-bit applications.

With FC2 coming "real soon now" it looks like mozilla will be 64-bit and I
suspect soon that all applications will be 64 bit.

So how do we handle the situation where we have an "old" application which
cannot be converted to 64 bit but we want to run it on our 64 bit system.
This should be possible.  However, there is is possible, it is not at all
easy with the current way rpm seems to work.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Gene