AMD and 2.6 kernel

Ashley J Gittins amd64 at purple.dropbear.id.au
Tue Mar 23 04:29:12 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001 02:40 pm, sting sting wrote:
> Hello,
> I am reposting this message because the subject was erronously omitted;
> I had looked in the kernel 2.6 source tree for sources of AMD 64 bit
> implementation
> and I could not find; for example, under "arch", there are some folders of
> different cpu types (like PPC,ARM,etc.) but there is no folder which is
> named AMD.
>
> There is x86_64 folder under arch (and inside there is ia32) which I
> suspect may be the one
> but I am not sure.
> Can anybody shed a little light on it ?
>

> Why there is no "AMD-64" folder?
> or : where are the AMD 64 sources in the 2.6 kernel tree ?
>

> regards,
> sting

AFAIK, the amd64 architecture is always referred to as x86_64, so that folder
under arch is where I expect your built kernel will be. As for the "amd64
sources", they are the same as the ppc sources, the i386 sources etc. the
only arch-dependant stuff will be the assembly, which is under it's own set
of subdirectories.

Don't take me as an authoritative source though. I am replying because your
query appears under-researched, so is unlikely to attract attention from the
gurus until it displays some evidence of your having done some further
digging. Hopefully this summary will help: "amd64 is called x86_64. Kernel
sources are the same for all architectures, but some routines done in
assembly are placed in architecture-dependant trees".

I hope that helps.

Ash.