Problems with Oracle on dual opteron

Doug Stewart dstewart at atl.lmco.com
Tue Mar 30 03:40:48 UTC 2004

Doug Stewart wrote:

> I've tried this message over on the RHEL list and met with limited
> success, so I figured I'd issue a last-ditch appeal over here.
>
> I'm having beaucoup problems installing Oracle 9i on a dual Opteron box
> we bought from Penguin.  They all appear to be related to Java/JRE
> problems.
>
> Here's the rundown:
> I downloaded the CPIO versions of the Oracle install media and plunked
> em in a directory.  This allowed me to edit the
> Disk1/install/linux/oraparams.ini and point it to the IBMJava2-JRE
> location.  I was able to partially install using the Oracle Universal
> Installer then (it threw a bunch of make errors, but it let me go the
> whole way through).
>
> However, when I try to apply the updated OUI installer, it just hangs.
> If I edit the appropriate oraparams.ini file and point it to either the
> JRE that Oracle installed or a version of 1.3.1 that I dl'ed from Sun, I
> get the dreaded
>
> Unable to load native library:
> /export/ultramagnus1/app/oracle/jre/1.3.1/lib/i386/libjava.so: symbol
> __libc_wait, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link
> time reference
>
> And don't tell me about the libcwait.so patch. I've tried to "apply" it
> countless times and all it does is attempt to hose my system. I have to
> issue an 'echo "" > /etc/ld.so.preload" in order to make it stop
> printing  "error while loading shared libraries: /etc/libcwait.so:
> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" every time I
> try to run anything.
>
> So please, anyone with first-hand knowledge of an Oracle install on
> Opteron boxes, help!

An update:
Due to the efforts of an engineer with *ahem* "slightly" more knowledge
of C language programming and makefiles, we seem to have tracked down
the nature of the problem (whether we've solved it or not is another
topic entirely).

The long and short of it is that 32 bit-compiled and 64 bit-compiled
executables seem to be gumming up the works, particularly make and ar
(both 64 bit in RHAS 3 for the AMD64).

By adding an "LD_PRELOAD=/etc/libcwait.so" to the beginning of the
.java_wrapper in the jre directory of Sun's 1.3.1 JRE, we were able to
get the Oracle installer to behave quite nicely.  We then ran the
installer until we encountered make errors (I had a tail -f running on
the make.log OUI creates), at which point we would edit the makefiles in
question and prepend an "LD_PRELOAD=", causing the makes to finally
succeed.

I'll get the first test database up and running tomorrow, so, fingers
crossed, this will work.

-Doug Stewart