V20z opteron, Red Hat, Sun StorEdge 3510 FC Array?

Roberto Devo jdevroberto at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 2 18:59:47 UTC 2004

Hello,

I'm trying to connect a 3510 fibre channel storage
array to a V20z
(AMD opteron) box running
64-bit Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.

Both the 3510 and the V20z are sun products:

http://www.sun.com/storage/workgroup/3000/3500/3510/
http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/v20z/

I tested the 3510 by connecting it to a sparc box
running Solaris 9
(with the SAN packages installed).
The sparc box and the 3510 worked well together.

Next, I put a fibre channel card in the V20z:
http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_private/Devices/Fibre_Channel/FIBRE_PCIX_2GB_Single_FC.html

The kudzu utility recognized the card.

I used linux modprobe utility to confirm that the
qlogic driver was installed/loaded in the V20z.

I ran a cable from the 3510 to the fibre channel card
in the V20z.

I booted the V20z.

Result:
-no link light on the 3510
-both amber and green light on the fibre channel

So, I'm curious:

- Have you ever successfully setup a V20z-3510 fibre
channel
connection?
- Do you know of anyone who has successfully setup a
V20z-3510 fibre
channel connection?
- Is there anything I should be aware of when
attempting to set this
up?
- How would you trouble shoot my no-link-light
problem?

-Thanks,

-moi